Home » Blog » Finding a Firm You Can Trust
Finding a Firm You Can Trust
Posted on: March 4, 2018 | by: admin
Researching expungement in Ohio
Ohio expungement options
If you are reading this post, you are considering your options for expunging a criminal record for yourself, a friend or a love one. There are many options to consider as you are researching expungement options in Ohio.
Types of expungement firms
If you google the phrase “Ohio Expungement Firm”, you’ll see many firms that offer the service of representing your case through the expungement process.
- Some firms are criminal defense firms that serve their local area, offering expungement as a secondary service.
- There are internet firms that offer the service in multiple states, including Ohio.
- You can represent yourself through the expungement process, which means you’ll pay court costs and filing fees and avoid the legal fees that are associated with legal representation.
- Or you can work with an Ohio firm, serving all of Ohio that specializes in the sealing of criminal records for hundreds of clients each year.
Selecting a firm
There are risks associated with Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Expungements. Losing your expungement hearing can make future applications very difficult, so working with an expungement attorney is the best option. In fact, we have laid out the Top 10 Reasons to Use a Lawyer for expungement to demonstrate the need for professional representation.
Here are a few tips for working with an expungement firm:
- The firm you select should have a strong history working with clients. You need to know about the experiences of others who have gone through this process with the firm. If a firm does not have published client testimonials, keep looking.
- You need to work with a firm that knows the Ohio expungement statutes inside and out. This expertise provides the attorney with the tools and knowledge to best argue your case and win the outcome you are looking for.
- Each expungement firm will provide a fee agreement to cover their time to represent you. Make sure that fees are simple, clear and cover everything from application to resolution.
Playing Your Part
You play a large role in the expungement process. There are some key areas where the attorney needs your input to make the best case for sealing your conviction.
- Be Honest. The worst thing you can do is not provide all the details of your case. Ohio judges and prosecutors consider all convictions when assessing an expungement application. If you try to hide a past conviction or don’t think that conviction is relevant, it will only extend and complicate your case.
- Be Vigilant. Ask questions of your expungement firm. Knowing what to expect provides clarity and peace of mind throughout the process.
- Be Patient. The expungement process can take weeks to months to complete, depending on the complexity of your case.
Try Our Free consultation
If you are just researching expungement options or ready to select a firm, we want to help. Take a few minutes to fill out our free online consultation to learn if you are eligible. Our team will use the information you provide to research the public records. We will respond to you 2 business days with either clarifying questions or a quote and next steps to get the ball rolling.